The historic city hotel was established in 1860 and was then located on Calle Amistad. Around 1888, it was relocated to its present position on the busy corner of Prado and Neptuno streets. In 1911 the hotel was completely rebuilt, and when it reopened it was regarded by the press of the day as the most modern hotel in the city and ranked amongst the top eleven hotels in Latin America. The hotel of today combines modern and colonial elements in its architecture to create a wonderful unity of present and traditional styles. On offer are a total of 63 comfortable guest rooms with excellent views out over the city. The inner courtyard with the original brickwork of its arches forms an interesting contrast to the new design features. The hotel has a large ceramic mural in the form of a collage, showing elements of Havana's colonial architecture and a fountain which appears to magnify the courtyard and its surrounding ruins. There are 54 standard rooms, three suites, and six junior suites available, in addition to a lobby area with a reception desk manned around the clock, a hotel safe, a cloakroom, a currency exchange facility, and lift access. Guests at this air-conditioned establishment may also take advantage of the restaurant, the snack bar, shop. Also available here is room service (charges apply), a public Internet connection (charges apply), and parking for those arriving by car (charges apply).All rooms are fitted with an en suite bathroom with a bathtub and hairdryer, centrally regulated air conditioning, a double or king-size bed, cable TV, a telephone, a room safe, a minibar, and either a balcony or terrace as standard.